Kids Suffer from Wrong Dosages of Prescription Medication
It is a well-known fact that children are smaller and more fragile than adults; thus, it is important that children—especially babies—get the proper medication dosages when getting their prescriptions filled. Because medications are powerful, the wrong medication or dosage of drugs can actually cause serious harm to children.
This is why it is especially critical that pharmacists are extremely careful when filling kids’ medications. Unfortunately, pharmacists make mistakes that cause children to suffer needlessly. Sometimes, mistakes are caught before children suffer major injuries, but other times prescription mix-ups have led to permanent injuries and even infant deaths.
Houston Pharmacist Gives Baby Adult Dosage of Medication
Recently, a mother in North Houston got her daughter’s prescription filled at the Walgreens at Fulton and Quitman. Her 8-month-old infant daughter was suffering from a persistent cough and cold and was prescribed medication. Unbeknownst to the woman, the pharmacist filled the infant’s prescription with an adult strength of codeine.
Carla Valencia told ABC news that whenever she gave her daughter the medication, her daughter fell asleep immediately, once with her eyes rolling back. She had been giving her daughter this medication for two days when a pharmacy technician came to her house and informed her that they had accidentally given her baby the adult-strength of codeine.
While the medication mistake was caught before fatal injuries occurred, some babies and families aren’t so fortunate. Adult-strength prescriptions can be deadly for infants or cause children serious injuries.
In light of this recent prescription error, we want all pharmacy customers in Texas and nationwide to know that medication mistakes occur frequently, which is why we encourage all patients to review their prescriptions with the pharmacist before leaving the pharmacy.
Share this article with your friends and loved ones so that they can be aware of the dangers of pharmacy error and the importance of checking their children’s prescriptions.