Go to navigation Go to content

I’m pregnant and got someone else’s medicine at the pharmacy. I’m not yet sure if the pharmacy error has harmed my unborn baby, but I’ve been told it could cause birth defects. What should I do?



It is extremely important that you contact your OB/GYN and go the hospital emergency room immediately so that a doctor can perform an evaluation. Sadly, ingesting a wrong medication can cause a miscarriage, birth defect, or even stillbirth; however, your baby may not suffer at all. The outcome may depend on the drug you took and how long you took it before realizing you were given the wrong drugs. Your doctor will determine if there are any injuries to your unborn child as a result of this pharmacy error.

If you suffered injuries or your unborn child suffered due to a pharmacist’s negligence, you have a case for pharmacy malpractice. You could be entitled to compensation for your hospital bills, tests, pain and suffering, and more. It would probably be best to bring the claim against the pharmacy after your baby is born in order to confirm if your child suffered from its negligence. Even if your child didn’t suffer injuries, you may still be entitled to compensation for your own medical expenses. Just in case, keep your pharmacy receipts, pill container, and all medical bills related to this wrong medication event.

It is also wise to immediately report the pharmacy error to the pharmacy involved and to contact a pharmacy malpractice attorney for help with pursuing a claim against the negligent pharmacy. Contact Kennedy Hodges, L.L.P. at 888-526-7616 for a free case consultation and request a FREE copy of our report, How to Make Pharmacies Pay for Injuries Caused by Medication Errors.

David W. Hodges
Connect with me
  • Google+