Go to navigation Go to content

Types of Errors

Dangerous and Defective Drugs If you put your trust in a pharmaceutical company and were hurt by their product, you deserve compensation for your suffering.
Wrong Medication Did you receive the wrong medication or incorrect prescription from a pharmacy? If you have suffered because of a medication error please call us for a free case review.
Wrong Dosage Common forms of medication error: incorrect dosage error. Order our free book to learn how to protect yourself and your family from wrong dosage errors.
Other Errors Order our free book, "How to Make Pharmacies Pay for your Injuries Caused by Medication Errors, to learn your rights in prescription error cases.
Kids Rx Errors Order a free copy of The Top 10 Tips to Protect Your Children Against Pharmacy Errors. If you have suffered a prescription error contact our firm today.
Pharmacy Malpractice If you have suffered an injury because a pharmacy dispensed the wrong medication or made an error with your prescription, you are able to file a claim for negligence or malpractice and receive the compensation you deserve.
Walgreens Pharmacy Error Claims There have been numerous claims brought against Walgreens for pharmacy errors or prescription errors. Order our free book to learn how to take action.
CVS Pharmacy Error Claims If you've been injured because of a CVS Pharmacy prescription error, call us for help with your lawsuit at 888-526-7616.
State Pharmacy Boards If you have been severely injured because of a medication error, contact board-certified attorneys immediately to investigate your case free of charge.
Drug & Pharmacy Error Prevention Filing a pharmacy error lawsuit is the only way to make pharmacies take accountability for mistakes. Call our board certified attorneys for a free case review.
State Pharmacy Laws State laws on pharmacy malpractice. Learn the pharmacy error Statute of Limitation laws that apply to your state. Call 877-342-2020 for a free consultation.

What Can Happen When Your Pill Colors and Shapes Change?

David W. Hodges
Connect with me
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
Partner at Kennedy Hodges LLP practicing pharmacy error, medical malpractice and personal injury law
Comments (0)

You may have been taking a prescription medication for your heart condition, high cholesterol, seizures, or for another health condition when the pills suddenly changed in appearance. Whether they are different colors, shapes, or sizes, you realize that something about your medication looks different. As a result, you are probably wondering if the pharmacy gave you the wrong drug.

When pills change in appearance, people are more inclined to stop taking their medications. In fact, about 30 percent of people are more likely to stop filling their medications after the shape or color changed from their previous pills, according to Dr. Aaron Kesselheim at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. While a change in color and shape may just be that the pharmacy filled a brand name instead of a generic or filled a generic pill instead of the brand name you were used to receiving, it could also mean something more serious—the wrong medication.

Whenever you notice a change to the color and shape of your pills, you should contact the pharmacy. Additionally, sometimes the shape may be the same but the color may be different. When either of these things occur, it is best to ask the pharmacist about your pills to make sure you didn’t get the wrong prescription.

While the change in pill appearance may just be switching over to the generic version or because a pharmacy changed their pill supplier, it is always best to ask questions and find out all you can about the pills you are taking so that you aren’t a victim of pharmacy error.

Please share this information on Facebook with your loved ones—especially your elderly loved ones—so that they will be aware of any changes in their pill appearances.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.